Decided to make a turkey meatloaf tonight and didn't want to use breadcrumbs so I mixed 2 recipes I found online and it turned out fantastic! Have to share =)
Stella's Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf, with chilled Quinoa salad
1 lb. 3 oz. ground turkey
1 yellow onion, diced
1/3 cup freshly parmesan cheese
1 egg or 1/3 cup of egg beaters
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbsp. agave nectar3 stalks fresh basil, chopped. approx 1/4 cup
1/4 cup rice milk
1 cup quinoa
2 cups organic chicken broth
1 plum tomato
red wine vinegar
1.5 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
additional dash of chicken broth
1/3 ish cup of herbed tomato soup (Campbell's comes in a box)
Vietnamese garlic chili sambal
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- saute 1/4 of onion with 2 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil in a saucepan until cooked
- add the quinoa and toast
- add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 20 mins
- allow to cool before adding to meatloaf mixture
- set aside 1/2 cup for meatlof
- add vinegar, olive oil, scallion and tomato to the remainder of the quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste, mix well.
- Saute the remaining garlic and onion in a saute pan.
- Deglaze with dash of chicken broth.
- Add the diced celery. They should still retain a little crunch.
- Allow mix to cool.
- Mix the ground turkey, sauteed mix, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, basil, Parmesan cheese, agave, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Pour the tomato soup over the meatloaf. Close the aluminum foil over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30mins.
- Remove the meatloaf in foil from the loaf pan. Place on cooking sheet and open the foil. There will be a lot of liquid, so be sure to make sure that it doesn't overflow into the pan.
- Bake for another 25mins.
Serve a slice of the meatloaf with the chili sambal.
Pairs well with a light red wine like Rioja or Pinot Nior. A rose wine would most likely pair nicely as well.